Sunday

January 4

Weekends are boring. The song of the day is "Ashes of American Flags" by Wilco. I really like Wilco, but I only am really conscious of this when I am listening to them. This song is often interpreted as having an anarchist-vibe to it, because Jeff Tweedy sings "I would like to salute the ashes of American flags" and it sounds like he hates America. But really he just is saluting the gesture of burning an American flag, because you have to be really balls-y (for lack of a better word) to do it. And the song is really about the emptiness of life, and waiting for something big and exciting to happen to you, but not wanting to go out and create that excitement yourself. Kind of like my life. I'm really excited for school tomorrow. I'm sick of having no purpose every day. 

I almost forgot to talk about the picture. Good thing the Wilco song isn't really about anarchy, because it wouldn't go with this picture. Sometimes it hits me that we have a black family in the White House, and it always makes me feel really proud, as if I myself were black. I think by the time they leave office, race relations will be different around here. My mom is making muffins right now.

No comments: