Thursday

February 5


Today when I woke up I felt like some phantom pressure of substantial force was being applied to my eyeballs. Also I had a fever so I stayed home and slept. Then my mom and I drove to pick up the car which was at the shop and then we went to the mall, and to my utter shock and disgust, I found a shirt in American Eagle that said "Love the one your with." 

ARE YOU SERIOUS AMERICAN EAGLE? ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO MASS PRODUCE A PIECE OF CLOTHING THAT SO BLATANTLY SPOTLIGHTS SUCH AN IMMATURE AND OFFENSIVE GRAMMATICAL ERROR? DOES ANYBODY WHO WORKS FOR YOUR MASSIVE EMPIRE OF A CORPORATION READ?? 

Things like this make me feel indignant, but in a good way: kind of a warm and comforting indignance. I can't describe it any better than that. My sister ordered this leotard to wear on the rare days of dance class when she isn't required to wear purple, but allowed to go crazy and choose any color. 

When we were in the mall, we talked about "has-been"s, which I think is one of the saddest ideas. My mom said, "Everyone eventually becomes a has-been. The best thing to do is just to accept it with grace and not fight it." Sad! And then I thought about all the things I could do in my middle age to avoid being a has-been, but trying to avoid what is supposed to be inevitable is somehow even sadder. Right now I know my cold is going away because I keep feeling like I'm going to sneeze but it never comes. At least I'm getting better. It's a goddamn annoying feeling though.


No comments: