Wednesday

August 4


In the end, what really defines my year is taking pictures while driving. It's a habit which everyone would benefit from my quitting. Today was my dad's birthday. I drove from my guitar lesson to meet my parents at the Bean Counter to celebrate. I didn't have anything to listen to because I forgot my iPod at home. My mom has recently unearthed a Backstreet Boys cassette and has brought it into the car, believing it to be of use to someone driving it. Last night, with nothing to listen to, the cassette struck me not as a piece of meaningless scenery, as it usually does, but something I might actually consider listening to, if nothing else than to pass the time. I saw it as something detrimental and maybe even harmful, but provoking curiosity. Maybe a similar situation to one in which I arose every morning to find a cigarette and lighter on my kitchen table. While I would never consciously plan to smoke it, I might just decide to out of curiosity and of sheer convenience. So, long story short, I listened to the Backstreet Boys. It's the first time in a while I've not had even a slight inkling of pride at knowing every word on an album.

Sometimes I wish I could
Turn back time, 
impossible as it may seem
But I wish I could
So that
Baby
Quit playin' games with my heart

Oh, to be so eloquent!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture would be even cooler if you attached another mirror to the rear window.

Emily Glick said...

You did not just quote Backstreet Boys. Mel would be proud.