Friday

April 17


This is Eli. And you don't get an edited picture today because I am confused by this computer. The song of the day is "John Allyn Smith Sails" by Okkervil River. Right now, instead of being pasty-white, my skin is pasty-white but streaked with red sunburns in places. I just saw the Hannah Montana movie, and it proved to be one of the most alarming experiences of my life. This is because the audience of 9-12 year old girls were standing up and dancing in the aisles. Also I'm pretty sure they were convinced they were at a Hannah Montana live concert and felt the need to video tape the movie screen on their premature cell phones (wouldn't it be funny if they got in legal trouble for this?), clap after every musical number (which was often), and scream the words to songs. As my seven-year-old cousin eloquently stated, "It's already so loud, why are they making it louder?" I didn't have an answer for him on this one.

Tonight we tried to find parking in downtown Miami and I realized, probably not for the first time, that every car in sight looks like it costs more than the average American house. It was weird. My mom says, "Don't worry, Miami isn't real." I get what she's saying though. This isn't real Miami. This is Barbie-doll, boob-job, Botox, nightclub, Bently, expensive shrimp, designer jeans Miami. And it's a pretty scary place.

On the plus side, there are lizards everywhere.