Saturday

September 5


My mom told me to go to bed at 12:15. Right now it's 12:51 which is almost the same thing except for a lot later and the minute numbers are reversed. Today was my last day at home before college. I'm really excited for tomorrow but I'm really sad to leave my family. I so often detail the pain involved in saying goodbye to and missing my friends in this blog. I don't really address enough how important the three members of my family are to me. Days like today I wonder how the two types of love can even compare to each other; I've lived with my family my entire life. My dad made me a goodbye video. It was an hour long and featured clips of video taken throughout my life, from the day I was born until my high school graduation. It was so great. He even put a Neutral Milk Hotel song in it! How did he know? 

To my sister, you had it only half right in what you said. I am excited, yes. I might not have ever been this excited ever. But I can't boast confidence. I'm afraid that as soon as I am left alone at college tomorrow, I will recede into my naturally shy demeanor. The one I fought so hard to conquer until, I don't know, maybe a few years ago. I only wish I was as confident about entering this new phase as I am about the fact that my relationship with you and with our parents will always remain as strong, if not stronger, as it is now. Friends come and go but family never leaves you alone as long as they're not too old to walk or get on a plane and fly across the country to bother you :)

My dad once told me a great quote, and I don't remember its exact wording but I remember the point. The quote was along the lines of, "the only constant thing in life is change." It's a really simple thought but one surprisingly oft forgotten. I guess the thing to remember, is that if you don't like the way things are, you can rest assured that they're going to be a lot different soon. Trust me, I know this to be true.

No comments: